From NANCY SHAVER
Candidate for mayor of St. Augustine
As Iâ€™ve walked this City during my campaign and spoken to hundreds of you, Iâ€™m hearing over and overagain, how much you all love St. Augustine â€” and how much better care the City needs to take of our Hometown. And Iâ€™ve heard what you expect from the City government and the Mayor.
Hereâ€™s what Iâ€™ve heard.
- You want traffic that is managed, not just a traffic study that sits on the shelf
- You want water that does not stain the clothes in your washing machines
- You want streets that are kept in good repair so trucks donâ€™t fall through them andÂ your tires arenâ€™t blown by potholes
- You want zoning that protects your neighborhood from surprises like the 7-11
- You want practical action, not just talk, and studies and plans that arenâ€™t funded
- You want a Mayor who listens and doesnâ€™t work to advance a personal agenda.
- You know that your City government is a service business and you want (and deserve )value for theÂ taxes you pay. You havenâ€™t said you want a town of â€œfiestasâ€ (but you do like celebrations every soÂ often)
- You do wonder where the millions of dollars spent on the 450thÂ in the proposed budget for next year
- You want to know what the City government is up in plenty of time to weigh in; you want all the facts
- And you are willing to work hard with the Commission and City staff to help solve our problems
So how do we get back to basics? As a proven leader who operated a business about the size of our CityÂ in my 30â€™s, Iâ€™ve built my career as a leader who listens, puts all the facts on the table, and works hardÂ with people to create practical solutions. Thatâ€™s what we need to do together.
Over the past several years Iâ€™ve put the facts in front of you about exaggerated City claims, (and weâ€™reÂ hearing more of them during election season) and questionable â€œprojects.”Â And itâ€™s made a difference.
Why have I lent my time and expertise to these efforts? Thatâ€™s simple. Because I love this City â€” and yes,Â it is magical. We are all blessed to call this home, and as citizens we owe this place our care.
Before I chose to run for Mayor, I read Thomas Jefferson on public service. To paraphrase, heÂ said “There is a debt of service due from every citizen to his city, proportioned to the bounties whichÂ nature and fortune have measured to him.” And it seems itâ€™s time for me to offer to pay that debt.
Together we can work to protect what is unique and special about St. Augustine, and set the rightÂ course for the next 450 years. I hope you will consider carefully your choice in this election and decideÂ who can best honestly represent your interests (and those of this special City).
Your vote is your voice.
NOTE: This is not an endorsement. This is commentary by a candidate. To send your candidate commentary, please email firstname.lastname@example.org