Celebrate our city’s 450th birthday … on the spot where it happened!
Weâ€™re reenacting the historic Pedro Menendez 1565 Landing and throwing a FEAST for the public! Enjoy the Feast of Thanksgiving and Landing celebration of the 450th anniversary of the founding of St. Augustine.
The first 300 guests will receive a FREE Thanksgiving Feast meal prepared by Smokin Dâ€™s BBQ!
The re-enactment landing will begin at 10 a.m., with lunch served at 11 a.m. and there will be music from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. â€” with James and Sylvia Kalal playing acoustic music from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and The Pemberwicks from 2 to 5 p.m. in our events pavilion. See the entire event schedule below …
St. Johns County Residents Get in FREE ALL DAY with ID, and Parking is FREE. Don’t miss this event!
Re-enactors will land at the Fountain of Youth in the Chalupa San Agustin (courtesy of the St. Augustine Maritime Heritage Foundation), march once around the Park, and settle in to celebrate a Thanksgiving meal in the tradition of the first documented Thanksgiving Feast in the U.S. â€“ right here on the Park grounds 450 years ago.
Saturday, September 5
- Â 9:45AM: Pedro Menendez boards chalupa, which is moored at the end of the dock. Chalupa rows into Mission basin, then lands at the point.
- 10:00AM: Menendez walks ashore. Father Medina and others are stationed at point. Menendez kisses the cross and the holy proceedings begin.
- 10:30AM: Solemn procession clockwise around park begins. After the living history interpreters, the Minorcan contingent and then the Los Floridanos contingent march along behind. The public is welcome to march in the rear of the procession.
- 10:45AM: Arrival at Camp area. Menendez, Father Medina, a Native American and 2 or 3 Spanish officers will sit at the head table. Speeches and photo opportunities
- 11:00AM: Lunch is served. Smokin Dâ€™s BBQ presents 300 free meals. Smokin Dâ€™s will have BBQ meals available for purchase, and etouffee will be available from the Flags CafÃ©.
- 11:00AM: Music commences with James and Sylvia Kalal playing Spanish acoustic tunes while roaming about.
- 2:00PM: The Pemberwicks begin playing in the NW corner of the Pavilion.
- 6:00PM: Park Closes.
We invite you to visit us for a fascinating, informative, entertaining tour of Ponce de Leonâ€™s Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, the original site of the Nationâ€™s oldest city. Located in the area first explored by Juan Ponce de Leon in 1513 and settled by Pedro Menendez de Aviles in 1565, historic St. Augustine is the oldest successful European settlement in the United States. Colonial America started right HERE, 55 years before the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock, and 42 years before Jamestown! With a long, rich history spanning nearly 500 years, the Fountain of Youth Park will delight and amaze you. Whether you visit for an hour or take all day, our 15 waterfront acres will provide you with hours of enjoyment.