A Celebration of Art & History features 14 fireplaces decorated by 14+ artists
St. Augustine, FL — Historic holiday house tours in St. Augustine, Florida will take place during the festive Nights of Lights season at the 225-year-old Ximenez-Fatio House Museum, located on America’s oldest street!
In partnership with the St. Augustine Art Association, the Ximenez-Fatio House will present A Celebration of Art & History from November 18 through January 5, featuring 1800s holiday finery and 14 fireplaces decorated by 14+ area artists. Guests can stroll through the historic house decorated for the Christmas season and view decor and artwork by artists who are members of the St. Augustine Art Association. The Art Association was founded on January 18, 1924 in the Ximenez-Fatio House, located at 20 Aviles Street. Now located at 22 Marine Street, the Art Association will celebrate 100 years in 2024.
Holiday House Tours will be held at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. in the original coquina structure. Don’t miss this beautiful new holiday event during the Nights of Lights season. Tickets are $20 for adults; $15 for seniors, military, and teachers; $10 for St. Johns County residents and Flagler College students; and $5 for children 17 and younger. Tickets can be purchased at ximenezfatiohouse.org and through eventbrite.
Selected artists include Melissa Whitehead, Martha Ferguson, Linda Sperruzzi, Laura Leibert, Catherine St. Jean, Angela Gaudioso-Klein, Barbara Betus, Paula Pascucci, Svetlana Shorey, Robyn Freedman, Gwen Mehler, Teri Tompkins, Judy Vance, and the Flagler College Fine Arts Department – Leslie Robison, Sara Pedigo, and Jason Schwab.
“This effort has been inspired by the beautiful Christmas Extravaganza at Stetson Mansion in Deland, Florida and supported by its designer, J. T. Thompson. We do not believe this has ever been done in St. Augustine, and it provides a unique opportunity to celebrate our partner relationship with the St. Augustine Art Association, which had its beginnings at the Ximenez Fatio House in 1924,” explained Payson Tilden, Executive Director at the Ximenez-Fatio House Museum.
In 1798, Don Andrés Ximenez built this fine three-story house made of coquina for his wife Juana Pellicer and their children. Juana’s father, Francisco Pellicer, led the Menorcan exodus of 1777 out of New Smyrna, from their bondage by Dr. Andrew Turnbull.
By 1830 Mrs. Margaret Cook had completed the purchase of the property. Mrs. Cook converted the home into a boarding house. In 1838, Mrs. Sarah Petty Anderson purchased the boarding house. In 1851, Miss Louisa Fatio became the manager of Mrs. Anderson’s boarding house. In 1855, Mrs. Anderson sold the property to Miss Fatio.
After Miss Fatio’s death, the house remained in her family until 1939, and was leased throughout the years for many purposes, including the St. Augustine Art Association. The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Florida purchased the property in 1939, and began the decades long process of meticulously restoring and furnishing the home with the intent of making it a historic house museum.
Events at the Ximenez-Fatio House Museum are sponsored in part by the St. Johns County Tourist Development Council, St. Johns Cultural Council and Historic Coast Culture, the Institute of Museums and Library Services (IMLS) and other generous community partners and sponsors.
Visit ximenezfatiohouse.org or call 904-829-3575. The Ximenez-Fatio House is located at 20 Aviles Street in historic St. Augustine, Florida. It’s on the National Register of Historic Places and a Florida Heritage Landmark. The property is owned by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Florida, since 1939.