The Greatest Story Ever … Retold, featuring Harry Chapin songs
St. Augustine, FL — A modern retelling of Christ’s story, Cotton Patch Gospel at Limelight Theatre is presented in a setting of rural Georgia with folk songs by Harry Chapin.
The musical runs Dec. 1-31 on the Matuza Main Stage. Opening night on Dec. 2 includes pre-show complimentary champagne and a meet-the-cast party following the show.
Herod is the Governor of Atlanta and, inevitably, Christ is lynched by local thugs — only to rise again. As an adult, Jesus tours the Bible belt like a soul-saving preacher, and falls in with a group of cohorts named Jim, Jack, Rock and Jud. The narrative is accompanied by a three-piece band of pluckers and pickers — with the lively music elevating the evening.
Shelli Long is director and music director, and the local musicians are Brooks Clarke on banjo and guitar; and Kimberly Zielinski on violin; and Sean Tillis on bass.
The talented cast includes well-known actors who sing their way through the Gospels, playing a multitude of characters including disciples, which bring the stories to life — all with humor and amusing song lyrics, thanks to Harry Chapin.
The cast includes Blake Michael Osner as Matthew and other characters; Ben LaBonne as Jesus; Michael Cejvanovic as Jud and other characters; Matt Kelley as John the Baptizer and other characters; Josh Morris as Andy, Mary and other characters; Jim Warren as Rock (Simon) and other characters; Fadil Cejvanovic as Tom and other characters; and Brian Johnson as Mr. Tedam and other characters.
Sponsored by Design Extensions, a St. Augustine based web design and marketing business.
Preview night tickets on Thursday, Dec. 1 are $15 per person. Terrific Tuesday on December 6 features two tickets for $30. Regular tickets prices through Dec. 31 $26 for adults; and $10 for student rush (30 minutes prior to show); and a FREE child ticket is available with full paid adult ticket.
Limelight Theatre is located at 11 Old Mission Ave. in uptown St. Augustine. FREE parking is available on site and street-side.
COTTON PATCH GOSPEL
Musical at Limelight Theatre
- December 2-31, 2016
- Preview: December 1
- Terrific Tuesday: December 6
- $26 for all seats
- $10 student rush (30 minutes prior to show)
- FREE child ticket with full paid adult ticket
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, and Terrific Tuesday
- 2 p.m. Sunday matinee
- Blake Michael Osner – Matthew & other characters
- Ben LaBonne – Jesus
- Michael Cejvanovic – Jud & other characters
- Matt Kelley – John the Baptizer & other characters
- Josh Morris – Andy, Mary & other characters
- Jim Warren – Rock (Simon) & other characters
- Fadil Cejvanovic – Tom & other characters
- Brian Johnson — Mr. Tedam and other characters
- Brooks Clarke — banjo and guitar
- Kimberly Zielinski — violin
- Sean Tillis — bass
- Director & Music Director: Shelli Long
- Production Manager: Amanda Arany
- Assistant Director and Stage Manager: Matthew Whaley
- Assistant Stage Manager: Ryan Walker
- Costume Director: Alison Zador
- Costume Intern: Lillian Black
- Set Designer: Dom Grasso
- Light Designer: Tom Fallon
- Sound & Light Booth Operator: Maria Tolzmann